Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another easy dish for a midweek supper! One of my daughter's favourite chicken dishes. Also good for an informal dinner party.
- 6 -8 chicken portions
- 30 ml oil
- 2 ml chili, minced
- 5 ml ginger, minced
- 5 ml garlic, minced
- 3 onions, sliced
- 2 ml allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 ml turmeric
- 1 (410 g) can whole tomatoes
- 10 ml salt
- 100 g dried apricots
- 100 g almonds, whole
- Heat the oil, sauté the chili, ginger, garlic, onions, allspice, cinnamon and turmeric until golden brown.
- Add chicken portions and brown on all sides.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, add the salt and apricots, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with almonds to serve.
I also double the sauce (tomatoes, apricots, and spices) with 1/2 cup water for 30 minutes. It tasted great! Additionally 1 tbsp of sugar was added because I wanted to accentuate the sweetness of the apricots. Definitely an interesting mix of flavors!
Tasty and interesting combination of ingredients. I doubled the sauce ingredients (tomatoes, apricots, and spices), added 1/2 cup of water and let the chicken braise for 30 minutes which definitely infused the chicken with the spice savory flavor. Didn't have almonds on hand, so used cashews. Will make this again.
I used 4 large chicken thighs (bone in) to make this delicious chicken dish. The apricots give it a great flavour, and along with the tomatoes gave it lovely colour. I served it with new potatoes and baby peas.