Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Originally a recipe from Taste of Home's "Five Ingredient Cookbook," but I have done much tweaking to get it just right. This one is so yummy and filling, and the flavors blend surprisingly nicely. If you can find apple pie filling with cinnamon already added, you can just use that. Usually I can't find it at my store. Also I frequently cannot find 6 oz. packages of stuffing mix, so I just make about 2 cups of stuffing, or a whole box, and put the extra on the side. This recipe was originally for pork, so you can also substitute 6 boneless pork loin chops for the chicken. We are more chicken fans at my house! You can also leave the chicken breasts whole if you prefer. I just find it blends nicely with them chopped.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped in bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon honey, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) package seasoned stuffing mix, flavor of choice
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop chicken, season with salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, rubbing dry spices in thoroughly.
- In a skillet, brown chicken in oil over medium-high heat, adding honey as soon as the chicken hits the pan and starts sizzling! Toss to coat chicken. Remove as soon as chicken is cooked on all sides.
- Meanwhile, prepare stuffing according to package directions.
- Spread pie filling in a greased 8-in. x 8-in. square baking dish. Stir in 1 teaspoons cinnamon if not already included in pie filling. *Note: At this juncture, you may want to remove apples from their sauce and dice them up, then return. I find that though the apple flavor blends nicely, the whole apple slices frequently overpower the other components of the dish.
- Add chicken over the top of the pie filling, and then add the stuffing on top.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-8 minutes longer or just until top of stuffing browns just a bit and pie filling starts to bubble.