Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from Better Homes & Gardens diabetic recipes. Recipe is easy to double.
Make and share this Chicken with Apples and Sage recipe from Food.com.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 dash salt
- 1 small sweet red peppers or 1 small green sweet pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice or 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 3⁄4 teaspoon snipped fresh sage or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 medium cooking apple, red or green,cored and thinly sliced
- Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Heat over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt.
- Place chicken in skillet.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is done (170 degrees F), turning once.
- Remove from skillet cover and keep warm.
- Add sweet pepper, apple juice, onion, dried sage (if using),garlic, and black pepper to skillet.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine water and cornstarch; stir into apples. Add to the sweet peppers, apple juice,onion, sage and pepper mixture.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- IF using, Stir in FRESH SAGE.
- Return chicken to skillet; heat through.
Absolutely wonderful!!!!! I cut recipe in half for just myself but did use the whole apple (Braeburn). Had no sage so used thyme instead. Served with brown rice. So, so good! I love the apple and green pepper together, and the sauce is marvelous. This is a definite "Keeper".
Tried this today, it was excellent ! i just added more spices: dash of cinnamon, dash of ginger, a very small slice of ginger root pickles,a dash of thyme, squeezed in half a small lemon and half a tsp of viniger. I ommitted the onion as i didn't have any. The flavors blended in greatly! it was super ! thanks alot for sharing :)