Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
WOW! This is not the same old chicken! Only 6 ingredients your family- kids included- will love this and your guests will think you are the MOST amazing chef! winonaradiocom.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter, real butter gives more flavor
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Pan fry chicken in half of the butter just until no longer pink in the middle, turning once to ensure both sides are browned.
- Remove chicken from pan and keep in a warm place or cover with foil.
- Core and slice apples as desired. I like to use my apple slicer- looks like a wagon wheel with handles- and then slice each lengthwise to make them thinner. To peel or not to peel- hehehehe- up to you. Likewise, red or green- the choice is yours. I like peel on and red for color!
- Add the rest of the butter, apples and thyme and fry until apples are as crisp or tender as you like.
- Pour apples over chicken and keep warm.
- Deglaze the pan with wine, cider or juice scraping all the yummy bits off the bottom.
- Add the cream- could use reduced fat sour cream or reduced fat or nonfat yogurt to reduce fat/calories. Yogurt will and a nice ‘tang’ to the sauce.
- Cook until slightly thickened.
- Return the chicken and apple mixture to the pan to make sure apples and chicken are nice and warm.
- When you are satisfied with the temperature of the dish, serve and enjoy!
- Experiment with your favorite herbs and seasonings- I have not tried this but I think a pinch of cinnamon might be really yummy here or maybe some nutmeg -- hmm --.
- Let me know what you think.
I give this a huge 5 stars! My husband said 4 because he thinks it needs garlic. Boy, have I raised him well! Yep, I will add fresh smashed garlic next time but, this time I followed the recipe (not something I am known to do) and I loved it! Almost wish I had doubled the sauce to use on the polenta I served with this wonderful chicken. Thank you for such a great recipe!
This was SO SO SO delicious! My husband is in LOVE!!! <br/><br/>I cooked apples and chicken together as suggested, also cut the chicken into chunks just to make it easier to eat. I used 1 1/2 apples also because I love apples!! Used Cinnamon instead of thyme as the others suggested. <br/><br/>For some reason the sauce wouldn't thicken for me though? I tried it three different ways twice with yogurt, once with sour cream. The sour cream one turned out better and at leased thickened a little. I served over rice with green beans and corn on the cob. Will definitely be repeating this recipe in the future!
I love mamas kitchen. I love every recipe you post!