Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Consuming Passions. Enjoy
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 8 tablespoons fresh white breadcrumbs
- 85 g grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 egg
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 55 g unsalted butter
- salt and pepper
- Put each breast one at a time between sheets of cling film and, with a rolling pin, beat out gently into thin escalopes.
- Put the breadcrumbs, parmesan and herbs in a bowl.
- Season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Mix together well.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg then whisk in the milk.
- Pass each flattened breast through the egg and milk mixture, allowing excess to drip back into the bowl, then press it into the coating mixture, first one side and then the other.
- Press down with the palm of your hand to ensure an even coating and transfer the breasts to a tray, not touching (if they sit on top of each other they tend to go soggy).
- Put 1 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- When hot, swirl in half the butter and, as it sizzles, carefully lay in 2 chicken pieces.
- Give them 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Keep warm in a low oven while you cook the others.
- Alternatively, use 2 pans and cook in tandem.