1/3 Photos of Chicken With 40 Cloves of Garlic and Creamy Thyme Sauce
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 40 mins
From Cooking Light. The recipe calls for 1 cup frozen seasoning blend, which I am sure is a great convenience if you have it, but I chose to enter it with the components (onion, bell pepper, celery and parsley), as I felt more people would have that readily available. I buy peeled garlic cloves at the market, which is an enormous time-saver.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 40 garlic cloves, peeled, about 6 ounces
- 3 1/2 lbs chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- fresh thyme sprig, for garnish
Creamy Thyme Sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
- 2Combine onions, bell peppers, celery, parsley, 1/2 tsp thyme, and 5 garlic cloves and place in the cavity of the chicken. (If you prefer, use 1 cup frozen seasoning mix instead of the first four ingredients).
- 3Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- 4Sprinkle chicken with pepper, salt and remaining 1/2 tsp thyme and coat with cooking spray; surround with the remaining garlic cloves.
- 5Tie ends of legs together with twine and tuck wing tips under the chicken.
- 6Roast for 40 minutes.
- 7Increase the oven temperature to 450 deg and bake an additional 20 minutes or until a thermometer registers 170 deg. Transfer chicken to a platter.
- 8Remove the garlic cloves from the roasting pan and reserve five of them;scatter the remainder around the chicken, cover the platter with foil and allow the chicken to rest.
- 9Prepare sauce: place the reserved cloves, broth, white wine and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- 10While the broth is simmering, combine flour and 3 tbl water in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
- 11Stir the slurry into the broth mixture and simmer 5 minutes or until thick, whisking often.
- 12Remove and discard garlic from the sauce.
- 13Remove and discard skin from the chicken (or don't, if you prefer!); carve chicken; garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
- 14Serve chicken with garlic cloves and sauce.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken With 40 Cloves of Garlic and Creamy Thyme Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (652 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 949.5
- Calories from Fat 545
- Total Fat 60.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 297.6 mg
- Sodium 610.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 78.3 g