Recipe by duonyte
From Cooking Light. The recipe calls for 1 cup frozen seasoning blend, which I am sure is a great convenience if you have it, but I chose to enter it with the components (onion, bell pepper, celery and parsley), as I felt more people would have that readily available. I buy peeled garlic cloves at the market, which is an enormous time-saver.
Top Review by KateL
The 18-mo.-old couldn't get enough chicken! We all agreed that the chicken was perfectly and deliciously cooked, and we all loved the sauce. We observed a moment of silence for the 35 cloves of garlic reduced to charcoal briquettes. So plans are afoot to reproduce this recipe but produce luscious roasted garlic. We thought the cavity filling was very good, so we will "fix" the one part that didn't please the 3 Garlic fanatics (not counting the 18-mo-old who couldn't vocalize her opinion). Oh, please include the fresh thyme in the directions, would be a pity to omit it after purchasing (and why not use it for the cavity?). Made for Rookie Tag.
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup diced bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 40 garlic cloves, peeled, about 6 ounces
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- fresh thyme sprig, for garnish
Creamy Thyme Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup dry vermouth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- reserved roasted cloves from chicken
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
- Combine onions, bell peppers, celery, parsley, 1/2 tsp thyme, and 5 garlic cloves and place in the cavity of the chicken. (If you prefer, use 1 cup frozen seasoning mix instead of the first four ingredients).
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper, salt and remaining 1/2 tsp thyme and coat with cooking spray; surround with the remaining garlic cloves.
- Tie ends of legs together with twine and tuck wing tips under the chicken.
- Roast for 40 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450 deg and bake an additional 20 minutes or until a thermometer registers 170 deg. Transfer chicken to a platter.
- Remove the garlic cloves from the roasting pan and reserve five of them;scatter the remainder around the chicken, cover the platter with foil and allow the chicken to rest.
- Prepare sauce: place the reserved cloves, broth, white wine and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, combine flour and 3 tbl water in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
- Stir the slurry into the broth mixture and simmer 5 minutes or until thick, whisking often.
- Remove and discard garlic from the sauce.
- Remove and discard skin from the chicken (or don't, if you prefer!); carve chicken; garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
- Serve chicken with garlic cloves and sauce.