Recipe by Maribel (skadoo)
Not exactly sure where this recipe originated but it's one of my favorites. I've modified slightly from the original. I like to make it on the weekends. Original recipe also adds 8-10 baby artichokes and a bouquet garni (celery stalk w/leaves, 2 sprigs parsley, 2 bay leaves, 1 sprig fresh thyme)
Top Review by Midwest Maven
This is a great chicken dish! Very flavorful and so easy to throw together and let dinner take vare of itself. I used peeled whole garlic cloves with great results. We loved spreading the soft delicious garlic onto the toasted french bread. I will definitely make this again. Made this for Fall PAC 2008, thanks!
- 3 -4 lbs chicken pieces
- 4 heads garlic, with skins intact (about 40 cloves)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, basil-I usually don't bother to measure the herbs, I just throw 'em)
- 4 -6 small potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- water (to make paste with flour)
- 1 loaf lightly toasted French bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash chicken.
- Place chicken, garlic cloves and oil in a 4-6 quart oven proof casserole or dutch oven. Season to taste with salt, pepper and herbs.
- Add potatoes (and artichokes, if using), mix well. Try not to let cloves fall to bottom. Add bouquet garni (if using).
- Put flour in seperate bowl, add enough water to make a paste. Roll out paste and cut to make strips.
- Moisten lip of casserole cover, place on top and using strips of dough, press dough with fingers to form a firm seal between lid & casserole so no air can escape.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve with slices of lightly toasted french bread. Garlic can be spread on bread or mixed with potatoes and vegetables.