Recipe by Mrs.R
My old pastor's wife used to make this. She was an incredible cook! I will use any recipe of hers--no questions asked! If I don't have dry sherry, I will use orange juice. Sometimes I will add more wild rice and just throw in a little more water as the rice cooks.
- 3 (10 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimiento (optional)
- water, if needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine broth and water. Add wild rice and onion. Simmer, covered, 35-40 minutes until rice is tender.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter on low heat and stir in flour, salt, chicken seasoning and pepper.
- Stir constantly, to prevent burning, until smooth and bubbly.
- Add half anf half and cook until thickens-about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add half and half mixture to the rice, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring until thoroughly heated.
- Add water at the end if you find this to be too thick.