1/1 Photo of Chicken Wild Rice Soup from the Pastor's Wife
1 hr 10 mins
My old pastor's wife used to make this. She was an incredible cook! I will use any recipe of hers--no questions asked! If I don't have dry sherry, I will use orange juice. Sometimes I will add more wild rice and just throw in a little more water as the rice cooks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (10 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimiento (optional)
- water, if needed
- 1Combine broth and water. Add wild rice and onion. Simmer, covered, 35-40 minutes until rice is tender.
- 2In a separate saucepan, melt butter on low heat and stir in flour, salt, chicken seasoning and pepper.
- 3Stir constantly, to prevent burning, until smooth and bubbly.
- 4Add half anf half and cook until thickens-about 2 minutes.
- 5Slowly add half and half mixture to the rice, stirring constantly.
- 6Add remaining ingredients, stirring until thoroughly heated.
- 7Add water at the end if you find this to be too thick.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Wild Rice Soup from the Pastor's Wife
Serving Size: 1 (426 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.1
- Calories from Fat 298
- Total Fat 33.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 109.9 mg
- Sodium 1508.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 25.3 g