Recipe by kzbhansen
This is so good and very pretty. I made a huge batch for a potluck and someone else did too--mine was gone theirs was barely touched. Wild rice is popular in MN.
Top Review by FettaFrog
We have a local restaurant that serves this very popular dish! It is so good I decided to make it myself at home. The flavors and textures of all the ingredients are so good that there is no need for the mustard in the dressing. Im going to try it with a balsamic vinegar in place of the red wine vinegar and see what that does. Also, cherry tomatoes cut in half are a nice addition. Great for summer lunches! Thanks for sharing!
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 5 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite size pieces
- 3 green onions, sliced the whole thing
- 1⁄2 red pepper, diced
- 2 ounces sugar snap peas or 2 ounces snap peas, cut in 1 in pieces
- 2 avocados, cut into chunks
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 2 garlic cloves, minces
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse rice and cook in the chicken broth 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Drain and toss with the lemon juice; cool.
- Add to rice the chicken, green onions, red pepper, and peas.
- Toast the pecans on a baking sheet in oven at 350° for about 5 minutes, checking often.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together and pour over the rice salad.
- Just before serving add the avocados and pecans.