Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Wonderful - loved by all who have tried it - worth the time. Adapted from Elizabeth Tokariuk's entry in the May/June 1999 Country Woman magazine. Very similar to Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole, except different measurements & suggestions. Chicken & wild rice can be made ahead to significantly shorten prep time. Is wonderful as main dish served with french cut green beans or as side dish at a potluck. Can be eaten hot or cold.
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken (breast is best)
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (fat free OK)
- 2 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained (8 oz total)
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley (fresh minced parsley OK)
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- Consider preparing wild rice and chicken the day before in order to shorten the prep time, as wild rice takes almost an hour to cook. Otherwise, follow all of these steps.
- Cook wild rice: Boil 3 cups water, add 1 cup washed wild rice, return to boil, lower heat to simmer for 50-60 minutes until most kernels have popped. Drain any excess water.
- Cook chicken cubes: Bake or fry. I like to fry with cooking spray or olive oil, using pepper to taste (NOT the 1 tsp pepper listed in ingredients).
- During last 10 minutes of wild rice and/or chicken cook time, prepare the remainder of recipe. If you have made wild rice and/or chicken ahead, then start with the following.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, & pepper until blended.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth & bring to a boil.
- Boil & stir for about 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Make sure to work out any flour clumps by stirring.
- Stir in the cream, chicken, wild rice, mushrooms, pimientos, & parsley, & heat through.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
I added fresh broccoli spears and crushed red pepper flakes and loved it. Also mixed in about 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese So tasty!
I thought it was just O.K. kind of bland, my family wouldn't eat it. Sorry.