Recipe by lindieb
This another of my mom’s recipes, and one of my all time favorites. It just takes a few minutes to put together, and gives you time to relax etc, while it bakes. I make this when I need something special, but don't have the time to invest in "fancy". I think the best type of pan to use for this, is the bottom part of a broiler pan, but a 13x9 works fine too. One final note - for some families, once box of the rice might be enough. We just love the rice so much, that I use 2 - the leftovers are fabulous, even if it's just rice leftover, and no chicken.
Top Review by Chef shapeweaver �
Before getting on with my review, I must say " I'm pleased to be the first one to rate this recipe ". :) .Since it was just my SO and myself,the recipe was cut in half and instead of using chicken breasts or a whole chicken, 4 legs were used. For a bit of added color and flavor, the chicken was browned up a bit in some bacon " drippings ". Then after browning the chicken, the recipe was made as it was written. Even though the recipe was cut in half, it still took the full required baking time. Both my SO and I really enjoyed the taste, and this will be made again. This recipe was made for Spring PAC 2012. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
- 4 chicken breasts or 4 one chicken, cut up
- 2 (8 ounce) boxesuncle ben's long grain and wild rice blend (not the instant version)
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- butter (margarine, etc)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Pour contents of Rice mix in pan (there will be an spice mix in the box - add that too). Lay chicken on top of rice. Add the amount of water listed on the rice mix, I think it‘s 2 ¼ cup, for each box. Sprinkle on dry soup mix. Dot with butter. ( I use about 3 tablespoons butter - my Mom used an entire stick - your choice :).
- Cover with foil or lid, and bake for about 45 minutes - remove cover and bake another 20 minutes. Cooking time will vary based on type of chicken parts used. If you use boneless skinless chicken be sure to to adjust time or chicken will be very dry.