Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Is an awesome soup!
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 carrots, diced or 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups light cream
- 2 cups cooked chicken or 2 cups turkey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Saute onion, celery, and carrot in margarine until tender.
- Add flour to make a roux.
- Add broth, stir well making sure all flour/magarine mixture is well mixed inches.
- Add the remaining ingredients and heat thoroughly. DO NOT simmer or boil.
- White rice can be used but soup will become very thick as white rice continues to absorb the liquid.
We enjoyed this soup on a cold rainy fall evening. Because we were trying to lighten it up a bit I eliminated the margarine and flour, added a bit of corn starch to thicken in up, used fat free condensed milk. I know the roux would have made it even more decadent. Thanks SKDIup.
Made this for several neighbors (& definitely have to make it again sometime just for ourselves!), using cooked, shredded & chopped chicken breast, then following the recipe for AN OUTSTANDING SOUP! Great comfort food, & a definite keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]