1/12 Photos of Chicken Wellington (Puff Pastry-Wrapped Chicken)
1 hr 5 mins
This is not at all hard to put together, it's an amazing dish to serve to dinner guests and I have done so many times over the years and have always receive rave reviews from everyone at my table and you will too! --- to save time saute the onion, garlic and mushrooms up to a day ahead, the cream cheese and Dijon mustard mixture may be increased slightly -- I always serve this with Creamy Mushroom Sauce/Gravy drizzled over or on the side of the plate, you will *love* this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 sheets puff pastry (thawed for about 20 minutes)
- 8 small boneless skinless chicken breasts, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- seasoning salt (can use white salt)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (can use 2 onions)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 1/2 lb fresh button mushroom, sliced (can increase if desired)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened (you may reduce the amount if desired)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1Season the chicken breast with seasoning salt and pepper on all sides.
- 2Heat butter and oil in a skillet.
- 3Brown the breasts on all sides until almost completely cooked through; transfer to a plate.
- 4To the same skillet add in onions, garlic and sliced mushrooms; saute until the mushrooms lose their moisture and the onions are tender.
- 5Stir in parsley.
- 6On a floured surface, roll out each puff pastry sheet to a 14-inch square.
- 7Cut into four even 7-inch squares (you should have 8 squares total).
- 8Place each breast over each puff pastry square.
- 9Set oven to 375 degrees.
- 10In a small bowl combine the softened cream cheese with mustard, then spread over EACH breast.
- 11Then top with about 2-3 tablespoons mushroom/onion mixture.
- 12Brush the edges of each pastry square with water.
- 13Wrap pastry around the chicken breast, pressing edges to seal tightly.
- 14Place seam-side down on greased baking sheets.
- 15Brush the tops with egg wash.
- 16Bake for about 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- 17Serve with mushroom sauce over the Wellington or on the side of the plate.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Wellington (Puff Pastry-Wrapped Chicken)
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 651.1
- Calories from Fat 389
- Total Fat 43.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 137.6 mg
- Sodium 460.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 33.3 g