Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another great recipe from my MIL, this recipe is well over 40 years old. When I asked Mom where she got it from she said "from a neighbour of her's years ago named Doris". This is an awesome recipe make ahead the day before when company comes your only an hour away from supper!
- 4 chicken breasts (sauted any way you like)
- 2 cups rice
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups celery
- 1⁄4 cup celery leaves
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup mushroom
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- Saute minced onion, finely chopped celery in the butter for 5 minutes.
- Add rice and saute for 5 minutes more until rice is golden brown then add water to onions, celery and rice and bring to a boil.
- Then add chicken bullion cubes simmer for about 20 minutes until most of the water has been evaporated or absorbed.
- Add seasonings, salt and pepper, chopped mushrooms, minced walnuts, and celery leaves and poultry seasonings add chicken on top of casserole.
- Bake for 1 hour @ 275 or 300 degrees.