Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From diabeticrecipes.com, this looks really good.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, about 6-ounces each
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth, use enough to cover the chicken
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 medium granny smith apple, peeled, cored, diced
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 12 slices whole wheat bread, artisan-style, sliced thin
- 6 boston lettuce leaves
- Place the chicken breasts in a pan and cover with broth.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until done, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the broth, then cut into small dice.
- In a small bowl mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, orange zest, and juice.
- Add the dressing to the chicken.
- Stir in the apple and celery.
- Place a leaf of lettuce on each of 6 slices of bread.
- Top with chicken salad and top with a second piece of bread.
- Refrigerate wrapped in plastic wrap, until ready to serve.
- Cut each sandwich in half.
- Exchanges Per Serving: 3 Very Lean Protein, 2 Carbohydrate (Bread/Starch).
- Nutrition Facts: 286 calories (11% calories from fat), 34 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.4 g saturated fat), 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 67 mg cholesterol, 479 mg sodium.
I made this one day before an event because one of the guests is diabetic. I added in the apple and the celery the day of the party. I thought this was awsome right after I made it. However, the second day it kind of lost something. So, would I make this again? Absolutely, providing that I ate it the same day that I made it.
Holy smokes, this is good! I didn't have any celery and added orange juice concentrate instead of the juice and zest and it was delicious! Loved it on whole wheat bread for a great weekend lunch. Mmmm.
I absolutely loved this! I used vegetarian "chicken" strips (almost completely fat free, no sat fat) and a homemade whole wheat and seeds bun. It made a delicious dinner that I will certainly be making again. It took all of 8 mins to put together. Fresh, easy and yummy. Whats not to love :D. Made for PAC, Fall'09 (mama loves ya sweetie)