Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
You can substitute turkey and any bread or cheese you prefer.
- 3⁄4-1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons walnut oil
- 2 jonathan apples, cored and 1/4 inch diced
- 1⁄2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, minced
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 3⁄4-1 lb cooked chicken breast, 1/4 inch dice
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 10 slices raisin bread
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup apple butter (or more)
- 10 slices gruyere cheese
- Combine mayonnaise, creme fraiche and sugar in a mixing bowl. Slowly add walnut oil, whisking vigorously. Fold in remaining dressing ingredients, adjust salt and pepper to taste. Set bowl aside.
- Working in batches, thinly spread all bread slices on one side with butter. Place buttered side down on griddle. Spread apple butter thinly on each slice. Top with cheese slice.
- Heat griddle to medium heat, cover with a lid to melt cheese. Remove bread slices from griddle when done to your liking.
- Top evenly 5 bread slices with the prepared mixture, cheese side up/ toasted side down. Top with second slice of bread, cheese side down / toasted side up. Cut sandwiches in half. Serve immediately.