Recipe by swissms
Published in Bon Appetit, April 1997. From Ruby's Restaurant, Bainbridge Island, Washington. A dish of chicken with sauteed pears and rosemary sauce.
Top Review by Elisabetta47
This is good if you like your chicken sweet. It tastes a lot like my Chicken Marsala which is less time-consuming to make. Also, unfortunately my sauce was a particularly unappealing shade that looked like runny peanut butter. Maybe I reduced the rosemary sauce too much. I'm sorry to be critical. But if you've got a sweet tooth and can figure out how to make the sauce "rosier", this is the recipe for you.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch dry crushed red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 bosc pear, quartered, cored, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup marsala
Directions See How It's Made
- Rosemary Sauce:.
- Heat 2 T oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add apple juice, red wine, vinegar, rosemary, thyme and crushed red pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer until mixture is reduced to 1 1/2 cups, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Strain mixture into small saucepan; discard solids.
- Add cream and simmer until reduced to sauce consistency, about 12 minutes.
- Sauteed Pears:.
- Heat 2 t. oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add pear slices; saute until tender and golden brown, about 8 minutes. (Sauce and pears can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate. Reward pears over medium-low heat before serving.).
- Heat 1 T oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and saute until cooked through and golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.
- Add Marsala and bring to a boil.
- Stir in reserved sauce, turning chicken to coat. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes longer.
- Divide chicken among 4 plates. Spoon sauce around chicken on each plate. Garnish with pear slices.