Prep 30 mins
Cook 22 mins
From the book Hot and Spicy that belongs to a friend. Prep time doesn't include marinating.
Make and share this Chicken Vindaloo recipe from Food.com.
- 2⁄3 cup malt vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pinch ground fenugreek
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 500 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 . 5cm dice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 curry leaves
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 2 . 5cm dice
- 2 hot green chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and stir to combine. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- In a wok or skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and fry onion and curry leaves until onion is soft (about 5 minutes).
- Reduce the heat and add the chicken and marinade and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the potato, cover and simmer until potato and chicken are tender (about 15 minutes).
- remove from the heat and stir through the chilies. Serve over rice or with naan.
This was quite easy to make, I marinated the chicken a longer then 30 minutes, because hubby was late home from work. I really like the way I didn't have to brown the chicken (like more curries) so it make it so simple top put together the last stage of the curry. The flavours all really worked together, the only thing I would change is next time I would use chicken thighs because the chicken would have been more tender. Thanks JustJanS for posting your recipe.