Recipe by Brian Holley
This is classic recipe from India,it can be made using beef,pork or chicken. Traditionaly it is made with chicken, as beef is from a sacred animal and pork is not widely availiable in India. This is a curry that sorts the men from the boys. Superb.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and jointed
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 8 ounces ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 ounce fresh ginger, chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 pint water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces desiccated coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the ghee in a large pan and fry the onions till soft and golden.
- Add the chillis, ginger, garlic, turmeric, coriander and garam masala, fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and water stir and add the chicken bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pan and boil to reduce the liquid by half.
- Add the salt and coconut, replace the lid and simmer on low for 15 minutes.