Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Any Red Dwarf fans out there will recognise this one.... A Kerala specialty, hot and spicy. Use prepared masala if you wish.
- 2 lbs chicken, cut up
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 5 dried red chilies
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 cardamom seeds
- 2 teaspoons ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, diced
- 10 unsalted cashews, soaked to soften
- 10 raisins
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Rub chicken with turmeric and set aside.
- Grind the next 6 ingredients, by hand or a spice grinder, until powdered (this is masala).
- Mix the masal with enough water to make a thick paste.
- Grind the cashews and raisins to a paste.
- In a wok, chow the onion until soft and browned.
- Reduce heat.
- Add the ginger and garlic, stir together until aroma is released.
- Add the masala paste, stir until the oil separates out of the mixture.
- Add the diced tomato, cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the wok, toss to coat.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of water, stir well, reduce heat further and cover.
- Simmer until chicken is done and tender.
- Stir in the cashew/raisin paste.
- Remove from heat, garnish with cilantro leaves.
5 big ones here - for the recipe and the reference to Red Dwarf...hehe. I made a couple of changes...I used 2 fresh birds-eye chilli's (with veins and seeds...hooooweeee), I used a 5cm piece of ginger (which I grated on a fine microplane) and I increased the garlic to 3 cloves (also grated). I used four tomatoes because mine were small. I had the three curry-lovers home tonight (dh,ds and me)...we loved this - and I can tell you that we know our curries!! Served with rice,lemon wedges and pappadums. Total heaven.Thanks for a delicous meal!!!
Ooooh, this was lovely. A wonderful curry. Thank you for posting this. I dropped the cinnamon and used allspice instead. Served with saffron rice and mandarin oranges on the side.