1/2 Photos of Chicken Vesuvio
1 hr 5 mins
Many years ago I came across this in the newspaper. Once you make it the second time is a snap. Lots of flavor!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs fryer chickens, cut up
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry basil or 6 teaspoons fresh basil
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch sage
- 1 pinch rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 baking potatoes, cut lengthwise
- 3 cloves garlic, minced fnely
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 cup .dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1Heat oven to 375* conventional or 350* convection.
- 2Wash and pat your chicken dry.
- 3Mix flour and spices in a shallow dish.
- 4Coat the chicken lightly with the flour mixture, but shake off any excess.
- 5In a 12" pan, preferably cast iron that can be put right in the oven, heat 2-3Tblsp. olive oil in the pan over medium-high heat until it is hot.
- 6Add the chicken in a single layer and fry quickly to a light brown on all sides.
- 7Remove to a paper towel.
- 8Now add the potatoes and fry turning occasionally until also light brown on all sides.
- 9Drain on a paper towel.
- 10Pour off all the oil except 2 tablespoons (which will be left in the skillet).
- 11Place the chicken and the potatoes back in the skillet.
- 12Sprinkle with garlic and parsley and 1/2 cup water.
- 13Pour the wine over all.
- 14Bake, uncovered, at above temperature until the potatoes are fork tender and the chicken is done.
- 15This takes about 20-25 minutes.
- 16Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving so any juices can be absorbed.
- 17Serve with pan juices.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Vesuvio
Serving Size: 1 (548 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 994.5
- Calories from Fat 419
- Total Fat 46.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 299.6 mg
- Sodium 580.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 96.3 g