1 hr 30 mins
I got this out of Cooking Light - and it fits into a Weight Watchers menu quite nicely and is scrumptious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 anaheim chilies (I used Pablano instead)
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper (stems and seeds removed, as you like)
- cooking spray
- 1 1/2 lbs tomatillos
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided (I used 3C)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot (I used a LOT more)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (I used a LOT more)
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper (I used a LOT more)
- 3 tablespoons flour (I excluded)
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 lb chicken thigh, skinless, boneless cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (I used boneless skinless breasts)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 (29 ounce) can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1Preheat broiler to high. Halve, stem, seed chiles. Place chiles, skin side up, on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray; broil for 5 minutes or until charred. Place chiles in a paper bag; seal. Let stand for 15 minutes. Peel and discard skins.
- 2Arrange tomatillos (husked and washed) on prepared baking sheet, and broil 14 minutes or until blackened, turning once. Combine the chiles, tomatillos, 1/4 C cilantro, cumin and oregano in a blender. Add 1 C broth; process until smooth.
- 3Heat a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add 2 tsp olive oil; swirl to coat. Add jalapeno, onion, carrot, celery, and bell pepper; saute for 2 minutes stirring frequently. (you would add flour here - and stir for 2 minutes if you are using it -- ) Add garlic, saute for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Place onion mixture in a large bowl.
- 4Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Add 2 tsp oil to pan. Add half of chicken; saute 3 minutes. Add browned chicken to onion mixture. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- 5Combine remaining 1 C broth, tomatillo mixture, onion mixture and hominy in pan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more S&P to your taste.
- 6Ladle into bowls, top each with 1 Tbl sour cream and garnish with cilantro.
- 7Note - I added more chicken broth and made more of a soup. With less chicken broth it is more of a stew -- .
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Verde Stew With Hominy
Serving Size: 1 (522 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 419.1
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 69.5 mg
- Sodium 915.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 19.8 g