James Craig's Note:
This is a recipe I have made for a number of years. I know there are similar recipes which use condensed soup (i.e. cream of chicken). I find the soup to salty for my taste. I decided to use the flour and chicken broth mixture and accenting the flavor with oregano. I have taken this to church potlucks with great success. My wife and I usually have 1 tortilla a piece with a salad. The remaining one will go to work with my wife the next day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb skinless chicken thigh, are fine
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 cup chicken broth (more or less-depending on how thick you like the mixture)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 3 burrito sized tortillas (about 7" in diameter)
- 3 tablespoons cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can stokes green chili sauce (optional)
- 1Brown chicken pieces-set aside to cool.
- 2Dice chicken when cooled.
- 3Saute onion till translucent.
- 4Put chicken back into skillet- add the flour, stirring till flour disappears.
- 5Add oregano and cook till aromatic.
- 6Add chicken broth to mixture to thicken.
- 7Cook 1-2 minutes-then add the diced green chiles.
- 8Warm mixture through.
- 9Put tortillas in microwave and microwave each one about 25-30 seconds.
- 10(I put them one at a time) Remove tortilla and put the chicken mixture in and fold the tortilla seam side down.
- 11Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- 12Put tortillas in a casserole dish and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- 13(If adding the Stokes Green Chili sauce add cheese last) Put the casserole into a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes till cheese melts and tortillas are heated through.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Verde
Serving Size: 1 (530 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.9
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 96.8 mg
- Sodium 936.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 46.7 g