Recipe by James Craig
This is a recipe I have made for a number of years. I know there are similar recipes which use condensed soup (i.e. cream of chicken). I find the soup to salty for my taste. I decided to use the flour and chicken broth mixture and accenting the flavor with oregano. I have taken this to church potlucks with great success. My wife and I usually have 1 tortilla a piece with a salad. The remaining one will go to work with my wife the next day.
Top Review by Starrynews
Thanks for a tasty recipe! It had a nice flavor and was easy to make. I used chicken breast tenderloins, which I cooked with some black pepper and cumin sprinkled on either side.
- 1 lb skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb skinless chicken thigh, are fine
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 cup chicken broth (more or less-depending on how thick you like the mixture)
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chilies
- 3 burrito sized tortillas (about 7" in diameter)
- 3 tablespoons cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) canstokes green chili sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown chicken pieces-set aside to cool.
- Dice chicken when cooled.
- Saute onion till translucent.
- Put chicken back into skillet- add the flour, stirring till flour disappears.
- Add oregano and cook till aromatic.
- Add chicken broth to mixture to thicken.
- Cook 1-2 minutes-then add the diced green chiles.
- Warm mixture through.
- Put tortillas in microwave and microwave each one about 25-30 seconds.
- (I put them one at a time) Remove tortilla and put the chicken mixture in and fold the tortilla seam side down.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Put tortillas in a casserole dish and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- (If adding the Stokes Green Chili sauce add cheese last) Put the casserole into a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes till cheese melts and tortillas are heated through.