Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe I have made for a number of years. I know there are similar recipes which use condensed soup (i.e. cream of chicken). I find the soup to salty for my taste. I decided to use the flour and chicken broth mixture and accenting the flavor with oregano. I have taken this to church potlucks with great success. My wife and I usually have 1 tortilla a piece with a salad. The remaining one will go to work with my wife the next day.
- 1 lb skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb skinless chicken thigh, are fine
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 cup chicken broth (more or less-depending on how thick you like the mixture)
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chilies
- 3 burrito sized tortillas (about 7" in diameter)
- 3 tablespoons cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) canstokes green chili sauce (optional)
- Brown chicken pieces-set aside to cool.
- Dice chicken when cooled.
- Saute onion till translucent.
- Put chicken back into skillet- add the flour, stirring till flour disappears.
- Add oregano and cook till aromatic.
- Add chicken broth to mixture to thicken.
- Cook 1-2 minutes-then add the diced green chiles.
- Warm mixture through.
- Put tortillas in microwave and microwave each one about 25-30 seconds.
- (I put them one at a time) Remove tortilla and put the chicken mixture in and fold the tortilla seam side down.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Put tortillas in a casserole dish and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- (If adding the Stokes Green Chili sauce add cheese last) Put the casserole into a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes till cheese melts and tortillas are heated through.
Thanks for a tasty recipe! It had a nice flavor and was easy to make. I used chicken breast tenderloins, which I cooked with some black pepper and cumin sprinkled on either side.
Hi James! This recipe is fantastic! Like you, I try to shy away from the condensed soups whenever possible, so I was really happy to find your recipe. The only changes I made was that I used fresh oregano (one Tbs.) in place of the dried and instead of chopping up the chicken and serving inside a tortilla, I left the chicken pieces whole and served it with warm tortillas on the side. It was absolutely delicious and my family loved it!! Thanks for sharing this recipe!!
We really liked this recipe. We will definitely make this one again. It was easy to make and tasted delicious.