Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Craving Mexican? Tasty shredded chicken in sauce will leave you craving more. This recipe will make enough to leave you with leftovers! It reheats well too...in fact I think it gets better with time...
- In a fairly shallow soup pot, place chicken, water, 1 onion, halved, 2 cloves garlic, halved, and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 1-2 hours until chicken is very tender and falling off bones.
- Remove chicken, and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Strain stock, and discard veggies, reserving the stock in the same pot.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred chicken, by pulling it apart, discarding skin and bones.
- Add meat to soup pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, or until desired thickness of sauce is achieved.
- Serve in burritos with rice, beans, cheese, sour cream and guacamole.
As I expected!! DELICIOUS! the smell of the house as this was cooking was worth it just for that! but the taste! a definate keeper my hubby loved this and so did I! I didn't wrap in a tortilla but instead just dipped the tortillas, this is really amazingly good and simple and I encourage everyone to try it! Thanks Canarygirl, I love this! Donna
Fabulous, Canarygirl!! Next time I make this, I will double (or even triple) the recipe - it is so versatile and great for leftovers. After we had this with tortillas for supper, the next day I made appetizers with it! Just put about a teaspoon of this on a taco chip, top with a little Mexican-style cheese, and zap in the micorwave for a few seconds - delish!! DH thinks this mixture will make great Chicken Enchiladas (his personal fave). I didn't have tomatillo salsa, so used a mild one that I had on hand. Also, no cumin seeds, so I used 3/4 tsp ground. Excellent - thanks!!!
Oh my God, this is good! And yes, the smell while it's cooking is amazing! We had it rolled up in flour tortillas with refried beans, chopped tomato, shredded cheese, and plain yogurt, which I prefer to sour cream. It was just delicious! We had some of our leftovers with my mole sauce and it was heaven! And we still had enough chicken to put away in the freezer for another time! BTW, I used some boneless breast instead of a whole chicken. Great recipe, canarygirl! EDITED TO ADD:I had roasted 2 whole chickens, and after serving one for dinner, I decided to use the second one to make this chicken verde. Since I had no water from cooking the chicken, canarygirl suggested starting with 2-3 cups of stock. I started with 3, added my shredded chicken, and the rest of the ingredients. Also threw in a couple of chopped, seeded jalapenos. Then I used a good portion of it to make Moxie's Chilaquiles with Chicken, #67921. The rest are coveted leftovers, hehehe. A match made in heaven! Thansk cg! :)