Recipe by canarygirl
Craving Mexican? Tasty shredded chicken in sauce will leave you craving more. This recipe will make enough to leave you with leftovers! It reheats well too...in fact I think it gets better with time...
Top Review by Donna
As I expected!! DELICIOUS! the smell of the house as this was cooking was worth it just for that! but the taste! a definate keeper my hubby loved this and so did I! I didn't wrap in a tortilla but instead just dipped the tortillas, this is really amazingly good and simple and I encourage everyone to try it! Thanks Canarygirl, I love this! Donna
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 onions (1 halved, 1 chopped)
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 -4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 bunch cilantro (about 3/4 cup chopped)
- 2 cans green chilies
- salt and pepper
- 1 quart water (about)
- 1 cup canned or jarred tomatillo salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- In a fairly shallow soup pot, place chicken, water, 1 onion, halved, 2 cloves garlic, halved, and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 1-2 hours until chicken is very tender and falling off bones.
- Remove chicken, and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Strain stock, and discard veggies, reserving the stock in the same pot.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred chicken, by pulling it apart, discarding skin and bones.
- Add meat to soup pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, or until desired thickness of sauce is achieved.
- Serve in burritos with rice, beans, cheese, sour cream and guacamole.