Craving Mexican? Tasty shredded chicken in sauce will leave you craving more. This recipe will make enough to leave you with leftovers! It reheats well too...in fact I think it gets better with time...
- In a fairly shallow soup pot, place chicken, water, 1 onion, halved, 2 cloves garlic, halved, and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 1-2 hours until chicken is very tender and falling off bones.
- Remove chicken, and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Strain stock, and discard veggies, reserving the stock in the same pot.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred chicken, by pulling it apart, discarding skin and bones.
- Add meat to soup pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, or until desired thickness of sauce is achieved.
- Serve in burritos with rice, beans, cheese, sour cream and guacamole.