Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a recipe out of my grandmother's cookbook. It is a lovely creamy soup with lots of chickeny-goodness. I have no idea how much it makes and she can't remember either, so I'll have to guess. Also, by setting the milk and cream out a little while before preparing this soup and letting it come closer to room temperature, you can avoid lumps.
- Melt butter in a pot and whisk in flour.
- Mix together the milk, cream, and chicken broth.
- Pour it in the pot in small amounts, letting the mixture warm and whisking continuously to keep the flour from lumping.
- Keep whisking until it is creamy.
- Add in the chicken and carrots (if desired),
- stir again and serve.
So simple, but so delish. If you have some left over chicken this is a must try. I browned the flour first, just till golden brown..a trick my aunt taught me, makes gravy or sauce just better. Did add a bit of hot sauce, 1/3 cup min. rice, s& p and pacific organic chicken broth. Fast and easy keeper. thank you cookie lady.
I was concerned that this might be bland, as I love to cook with spices, but it was wonderful. It had a very creamy consistency with a strong chicken taste. I used leftover chicken from "roast sticky chicken" which was strong with seasoning, but I really don't think it would have mattered. It had the kind of flavor that makes you warm all over. This will be a delicious alternative to chicken noodle soup!