Top Review by Denibates
I love this... today is the first fall-like day in Kentucky, and I decided soup would make a nice dinner....looked at recipes. I didn't have broccoli, or orzo, but I used "star" pasta in place of orzo. It's so good I've already eaten and my family isn't even home yet. You're one of my favorite recipe-posters, Dancer, so thanks again.
- 5 cups water
- 2 lbs chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 cups presliced mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese (1-1/2 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water and chicken in a 3-quart casserole.
- Cover with lid; microwave at high 30 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring after 15 minutes.
- Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving cooking liquid.
- Cool chicken slightly.
- Remove chicken from bones, and discard bones.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks to measure 2 1/2 cups.
- Combine broccoli and next 4 ingredients (broccoli through basil) in casserole.
- Cover; microwave at high 8 minutes or until tender, stirring after 4 minutes.
- Add the reserved cooking liquid, chicken, pasta, salt, and pepper.
- Cover; microwave at high 6 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Ladle soup into 6 bowls.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese.