Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Better Homes and Gardens
Make and share this Chicken Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil (or 2 t. dried crushed)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley (or 1 t. dried crushed)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 lb potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a medium bowl, toss chicken breast pieces with poultry seasoning; set aside.
- In a 5 to 6-quart Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, carrots, onion, bell pepper, garlic, dried herbs (if using), black pepper and salt.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove vegetables from Dutch oven; set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the Dutch oven; heat over medium heat.
- Add chicken pieces; cook about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Return vegetables to Dutch oven.
- Stir in the water and bouillon granules.
- Bring to boiling; stir in potatoes and barley.
- Return to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in fresh basil and parsley, if using; taste and adjust seasoning.