Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe from the US Potato Board.
- 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, and cut into cubes
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper (optional)
- In a soup pot, combine broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 8 minutes.
- Add chicken, carrot and celery; continue to cook for 10 minutes more.
- Add remaining ingredients, except salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
How can you go wrong with a soup packed full of fresh vegetables? Homemade chicken stock was used as were homegrown tomatoes. The chicken was already precooked. This is a delicious soup that really hits the spot on cool winter evenings.