Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Have you ever tried vegetable soup with chicken instead of beef?
- 2 -3 lbs chicken breasts
- 9 -10 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen succotash (lima beans and corn)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas and corn
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 -4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed 3/4 to 1 inch
- 1 teaspoon salt ((or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Place chicken breasts and chopped onions in large pot (at least 6 quarts).
- Add water, bring to a boil, then turn back to medium heat and cook chicken for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken from water, remove skin and bones, then cut chicken into smaller pieces and return to the water in which it was cooked.
- Add tomatoes, frozen vegetables and sugar and simmer for at least an hour.
- Add potatoes and cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper and serve hot--even better if stored in refrigerator overnight, then reheated and eaten the next day.