Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
"Here's a fun and colorful way to pair summer vegetables with stir-fry chicken. And if you cut the zucchini and squash just right, the curvy yellow and green strips almost look like pasta! Serve it hot right out of the skillet or refrigerate in a tightly sealed container and enjoy cold the next day." This is from the clean home journal.
- 453.59 g zucchini, rinsed, stem ends trimmed (2 medium)
- 453.59 g summer squash, rinsed, stem ends trimmed (2 medium)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and diced
- 453.59 g thin-sliced chicken cutlet, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 59.14 ml fresh rosemary leaf, roughly chopped, divided
- 118.29 ml fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel zucchini and yellow squash lengthwise into strips, pressing down firmly with the peeler so that the strips are almost as thick as a potato chip (see photo). Place vegetable strips in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper. Toss lightly and set aside.
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté, stirring constantly until garlic has softened and is transparent, about 2 minutes. Add chicken pieces and 2 Tablespoons rosemary. Stir frequently with a wooden spoon or heat-resistant spatula until chicken is cooked through and slightly browned, about 8-10 minutes. Remove chicken pieces to a medium bowl and set aside.
- # Add chicken stock and remaining 2 Tablespoons of rosemary to the skillet and bring to a boil, scraping brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or heat-resistant spatula. Boil until chicken stock is reduced by half, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and yellow squash strips to the skillet, stirring gently. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Toss in the reserved cooked chicken along with any juices that have collected in the bowl. If desired, add grated Parmesan cheese on top. Serve immediately.
- Chef's Note: Feel free to make substitutions. Instead of chicken, use thinly sliced steak or whole medium shrimp. Substitute carrots for the zucchini or squash. Instead of rosemary, try oregano, parsley or thyme. Add more flavor by replacing half the olive oil with margarine or butter. And cut your prep time by 10 minutes by using precooked chicken or leftovers.
Actually deserves 3.5 stars. Not quite exciting enough for 4. (I save 4 and 5 stars for extra special recipes) I went into the recipe sceptical that it would taste good but was pleasently surprised. I liked the crisp-tender texture of the squash. I want to play around with the spices more. I think I liked the rosemary cooked with the chicken but not so much the 2nd dose because the flavor got strong. I followed the recipe except omitted the cheese and I used 2 chicken breasts. I'm not sure if I used enough squashes. It only made 2 servings for us. Even so I felt hungry after eating it. But that always happens when I have a dish that is mostly vegetables. BTW there isn't the picture that is stated in the instructions...