Recipe by Dorel
This is one of my adopted recipes and I have made it. I have changed the recipe to boneless skinless breasts. I used fresh mushrooms. Yukon gold potatoes are my choice but any firm potato will do. Next time I will double the topping as it so good. I used all the topping on 1/2 the recipe.
Top Review by Chef Tweaker
4 stars for filling (see explanation below) I originally made this filling but used a different biscuit recipe which I rolled out into crusts.I made small pies with the mini tins and I think it made 8 pies so it was a very generous amount. I wrapped them in foil and froze them then took off the foil and put them in a micro-safe dish and sent to work with hubby. He raved about them every time he ate them!
Today I made these again (well, started making anyways) I made a double-batch which I again plan on making into individual pies. Needed something for dinner though so put some into an 8x8 dish and made your biscuit topping. I used milk instead of buttermilk so maybe that was my problem but I wasn't too impressed. I dropped the sticky dough onto the dish and it seemed more like dumplings. They didn't puff up and were rather dense. From now on I will stick with making my pies!
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- 10 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms, fresh (about 2/3 cup) or 4 ounces canned mushrooms (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, I use the powder buttermilk and mix with water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chicken and water in a large saucepan and bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken, reserving broth.
- Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Add potatoes, celery, and bouillon powder to broth; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in mixed vegetables; set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons margarine in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add 2 tablespoons flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add skim milk; cook over med heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat; stir in poultry seasoning.
- Combine reserved chicken, vegetable mixture, white sauce, and mushrooms in a large bowl.
- Spoon into individual baking dishes that have been coated with Pam.
- Or into 1 large casserole dish.
- Combine 1 cup flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Cut in 1 Tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Spoon biscuit dough over chicken mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until biscuits are golden.