Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a clean out the fridge and pantry sort of soup. Feel free to substitute whatever vegetables you have around. Now I like my soup with a high goodies to broth ratio, more like a stew perhaps, so you may want to add more liquid. This would easily work in a large crock pot if you added the pasta at the end.
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano, with liquid
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 5 ounces frozen chopped broccoli
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 7 -10 cups chicken broth (or more, or use half chicken broth, half vegetable broth)
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- Combine all ingredients except broth and orzo in a large pot.
- Add broth until there is a little more broth than you like in a soup (the orzo will absorb some liquid).
- Slowly bring the soup to a simmer and simmer for an hour or more.
- Add orzo and continue to cook until orzo is tender.
This is very good soup, loaded veggies and very thick! I used fresh broccoli and fresh green beans. The tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic gives a nice flavor but I added a bit more garlic. Very easy to make. The orzo cooked in 15 minutes. Thanks for sharing this recipe, one I will be making again.
This is in my top ten soups list. I will be making this one alot from now on. It makes quite a bit, but I know none of it will go to waste. The only thing I left out was the celery. Wonderful flavor - no salt or pepper needed.
This is terrific - great combination of veggies - I did bring it to a boil before simmering and added garlic pepper and red pepper flakes.