Recipe by ozzygirl
Came across this from AWW website and had to try it. I am pleased to say its a keeper! The only addition I made was to add a small onion and some herbs.
- 40 g butter
- 1 large carrot, halved, sliced thinly
- 1 large leek, halved, sliced thinly
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 slices bacon, chopped coarsely
- 500 g chicken thigh fillets, sliced thinly
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vermicelli or 1 cup risoni pasta
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 50 g baby spinach leaves
- salt & pepper
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan and cook the onion, leek, garlic & carrot until softened (about 10 minutes).
- Add the bacon and cook for further 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, cook stirring, until the chicken is browned lightly.
- Add stock, water and herbs and simmer gently for up to 20 minutes.
- Add pasta and simmer gently for about 5-10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Remove from heat, stir in the spinach. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese.