Recipe by SarahMcLean
This pasta bake is really yummy! I got this recipe from the September 2006 issue of Australian Good Taste and decided to try it straight away. It turned out great. It is a great recipe to make and freeze.
Top Review by An_Net
Really enjoyed this meal. I made this pasta up to make it easy for my young daughter to cook for her dad whilst I was going out. I used a 500gr bag of pasta and increased the liquid by adding 1 cup of cream. Very enjoyable indeed and even better heated up the next day.
- 300 g dried spiral shaped pasta
- 2 corn on the cob, husks and silk removed
- 1 large cooked roasting chicken
- 750 ml milk
- 500 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 green capsicum, deseeded, finely chopped
- 200 g mushrooms, sliced
- 80 g butter or 80 g margarine
- 50 g plain flour
- 3 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- 145 g coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 275 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees (unless freezing for later use). Cook pasta in a saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain.
- Cut down the length of the corn cobs, close to the core, to remove the kernels. Remove the chicken meat from bones. Discard bones, skin and seasoning. Shred the chicken and place in a bowl.
- Place the milk and stock in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the corn, capsicum and mushroom and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the mushroom softens. Transfer to a plate. Melt the butter in the pan. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in milk mixture. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Add the pasta, corn mixture, chicken, shallots and 40g (1/2cup) of cheddar to the sauce. Spoon pasta mixture into a 3L (12-cup) capacity freezer proof ovenproof dish. Combine breadcrumbs parsley and remaining cheddar in a bowl. Sprinkle over pasta mixture.
- To freeze, set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 30 minutes. Cover with several layers of plastic wrap, label, date and freeze for up to 3 months. To cook, place in fridge for 8 hours or until thawed. Then follow step below.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden.