Recipe by TheGrumpyChef
I really love the filling for this manicotti recipe. Packed with veggies and flavor, Yum! This recipe is great to use up leftover chicken. From 1001 Low-Fat Recipes.
Top Review by LizP
Really yummy recipe! I changed it a bit. I kept it strictly vegetarian and didn't use chicken. Instead I used 15oz fat free ricotta instead of the 1/2 cup. I also used frozen chopped spinach. I used a 10 oz. package in the filling and a 10 oz. package in the sauce and it was perfect. My entire family...including kiddos....flipped for it. Thanks for a great recipe!
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 cup choped zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chopped summer squash
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 8 ounces cooked chicken, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package manicotti, cooked
For Spinach Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 lb fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 4 dashes red pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- For Spinach Sauce:.
- Saute garlic in margarine in large sauce pan 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook over med heat 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in milk; heat to boiling. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir spinach and remaining ingredients into sauce. Cook, uncovered, over med heat until spinach is cooked, 5 to 7 minutes.
- For Manicotti:.
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat over med heat until hot. Saute onion and garlic until tender, about 3 minutes. Add remaining vetetables; saute until tender, 5 to 8 minutets. Stir in herbs and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in chicken, cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons chicken-veggie mix into each manicotti; arrange in baking pan. Spoon Spinach Sauce over manicotti. Bake at 350 degrees, loosely covered with aluminum foil, until manicotti are hot through and sauce is bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes.