Recipe by MsLizze
I like to cook one-dish meals that have a lot of vegetables in them, but are not time consuming to make so this is what I came up with when I received my last co-op order. I really liked the addition of the cinnamon and nutmeg; it gives it a nice warm flavor. This chowder would be really good served with some rustic bread.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Except for cutting the recipe in half for the 2 of us, I followed it right on down & the chowder was absolutely delicious, although another time I might try it with chicken breasts since I always have 'em around! Love the spice combo here, too, & the soup is just as good warmed up the second time as it was right out of the slow cooker! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes, cubed
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 5 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 2 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large slow cooker, combine everything up to the chicken. Then layer the chicken on top. Lastly pour the stock over all of it, and let cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- When the chicken is cooked and the potatoes are soft, remove the chicken bones and fat. Then, remove about a third of the vegetables and some of the broth and blend them until smooth. Return the blended mixture to the chowder, and stir well. This should act as a thickener of sorts.
- Now add the cubed zucchini and continue to cook for about twenty minutes until the zucchini is soft.
- Stir in the sour cream and serve.