Recipe by JackieOhNo!
Just what the doctor ordered for those long, cold winter days. I like to serve this with some garlic bread and a salad, but it is complete and nutritious on its own.
Top Review by mama smurf
I made this for dinner last night after coming home from a long day at the hospital with my dad...I used chicken I had already cooked from the freezer and I did cut the recipe in half. Followed the recipe completely and served with angel biscuits. Very good. Thank you for an easy and delicious meal. Made for Zaar Alphabet Soup game 2009-2010.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- 2 cups fresh green beans, sliced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large soup pot or Dutch oven. Cook onions, celery, carrots and garlic until soft, about 8 minutes. Add thyme, salt and pepper, stir, and cook another minute to let vegetables absorb seasonings.
- Add water and chicken stock to pot and bring to a boil. Add barley and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until barley is thoroughly cooked.
- Stir in diced chicken and fresh green beans. Cover and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
- Immediately stir in Parmesan cheese until dissolved. Serve.