1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from Sara's Secrets, this is an Ethiopian dish, that will tantalize your taste buds! I leave out the Scotch bonnet pepper, and use a slice of jalapeno.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut in eighths
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 large potato
- 1 small cabbage, cut in 1/2-inch pieces (or 6 Brussels sprouts)
- 1/2 lb carrot, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (or 6 patty pans, cut in half)
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (or "tigadege"=roasted peanut paste)
- 1 whole scotch bonnet peppers (optional) or 1 whole jalapeno (optional)
- steamed white rice, for serving
- 1In a large pot, heat oil until hot and brown chicken pieces on all sides. Remove chicken and set aside for now. In the same frying pan, add the onions and stir until limp and slightly brown. Add the tomato paste and salt, and stir well.
- 2Add all the prepared vegetables and fish sauce to the pot. Return the chicken to the pot and add just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, stir, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Check the vegetables to avoid overcooking, removing them in a bowl as they are done.
- 3When all the vegetables are cooked and removed from the stew, add the peanut butter or "tigadege", 1 tablespoon at a time to make sure it is well dissolved in the broth. Add the Scotch bonnet pepper(or jalapeno), if using and simmer until broth thickens, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- 4Return all the vegetables to the pot and simmer 5 minutes more. Serve over white rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Veg. Stew in Peanut Butter Tomato Sauce: Mafe
Serving Size: 1 (1066 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1035.4
- Calories from Fat 556
- Total Fat 61.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 155.2 mg
- Sodium 2135.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.0 g
- Sugars 22.9 g
- Protein 55.9 g