Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A way for me to cut calories/fats and still enjoy one of my favorite meals. From Jan Curry of "Good For You."
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, diagonally sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 egg, beaten (optional)
- Heat large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add 1 t oil. Add onions, peppers, carrots, and garlic. Cook, stirring several minutes until veggies begin to soften.
- Add chicken and cook til done.
- Push mixture to sides of skillet; add rice and cook appx 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add water, peas, soy sauce sesame oil, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and cook 25 minutes or until rice is done.
- Push rice mixture to the side of the skillet; add 1 t oil and scramble egg in the oil. Mix egg into the rice mixture.