Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 hrs
From the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook. This is a much lower calorie and fat version of a beloved classic, made in a slow-cooker! As written, it's very mild; so if you like it hot, you will need to add cayenne or chile flakes to taste. Cooking time assumes you will cook on low; if you cook on high time will be 5 hours.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 lb turkey sausage, cut into bite sized pieces (preferably cajun)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced fire-roasted tomatoes (1 can)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 10 ounces frozen cut okra
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Combine onion, bell pepper, and celery in a 6 quart slow cooker. Place chicken and sausage on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and salt (I use about a teaspoon of kosher salt at this point). Top with stock and tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours, or on high for about 4 hours until the meat and vegetables are fork tender.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour and cold water to form a loose paste. Add 1/4 cup of the hot liquid from the slow cooker, mixing until well combined. Add the mix into the slow cooker, and stir to mix well.
- Add the okra and corn, and cook on high for 45 minutes to an hour; until the gumbo is bubbling and thickened. Taste for seasoning, and salt or pepper or more Cajun seasoning as needed before serving.