Recipe by Derf
Great tasty way to use leftover chicken or turkey from Canadian Living magazine.
Top Review by Tracy Blodgett
OMG it was so good!!!! My son (15mnths) was just shoveling it into his mouth. Although I didn't have all the ingredients at this time. Lets just hope it taste just as good next time with all the ingredients!!!!
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 cups turkey broth
- 1 cup milk (I use 2%)
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or 2 cups cooked turkey
- 1 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut crusts off bread.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each slice to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Fit each into lightly greased 6 oz custard cup or jumbo muffin pan.
- Bake in centre of 375 degree Fahrenheit oven until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion, carrot, celery, red pepper, salt, pepper, and thyme, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Whisk in stock, milk and vinegar; cook, whisking often, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and peas; cook until bubbly and peas are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Spoon into toast cups just before serving.