Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Great tasty way to use leftover chicken or turkey from Canadian Living magazine.
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 cups turkey broth
- 1 cup milk (I use 2%)
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or 2 cups cooked turkey
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Cut crusts off bread.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each slice to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Fit each into lightly greased 6 oz custard cup or jumbo muffin pan.
- Bake in centre of 375 degree Fahrenheit oven until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion, carrot, celery, red pepper, salt, pepper, and thyme, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Whisk in stock, milk and vinegar; cook, whisking often, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and peas; cook until bubbly and peas are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Spoon into toast cups just before serving.
OMG it was so good!!!! My son (15mnths) was just shoveling it into his mouth. Although I didn't have all the ingredients at this time. Lets just hope it taste just as good next time with all the ingredients!!!!
Super easy and super good. I made this tonite as I had leftover turkey that needed to be used. Didn't feel like the regular same old same old so checked out Derf recipe list and this is it. This came together so easy. I did make some changes in that I used homemade biscuits and dented them to fit into cups. DH loved and and again asked is this a recipe from zaar again? OF COURSE! He was very pleased. Thank you for another keeper.
Was VERY tasty, true! Reminds me of comfort food when little too! LOVE presentaion with muffin tin, I reckon if made this recipe...is always a win!