Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A simple unique and special chicken dish...good enough for fine company.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs thinly sliced chicken cutlets
- flour, to dredge cutlets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups tawny port (Osbourne Ruby or Fairbanks)
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup beef stock (may use bouillon cubes)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt and pepper
- 5 -6 ounces roasted peeled chestnuts
- Earlier in day or prior to cooking chicken:.
- Combine port, and broths in saucepan and cook down over medium heat until almost half. Remove 4 ounces of mixture, let cool and add 1 T flour to these 4 ounces until thoroughly dissolved.
- Return to pan and cook over medium low until thickened.
- Just before serving on chicken, add chestnuts and heat through.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Dredge chicken cutlets in flour.
- Heat non stick fry pan (use PAM if necessary).
- Add butter and oil.
- Saute cutlets on each side over medium high heat until lightly browned (can let rest covered a few minutes as you add chestnuts to port gravy mixture).
- Pour thickened port gravy over cutlets and serve.