Recipe by cuteandbublee
I absolutely love tortilla soup and I've realized more is not always necessary. This is amazing and there never seems to be leftovers.
Top Review by chayamushka
This was very good. I am giving it five stars because the only reasons I made changes were for personal taste (I like it spicier, for example, but that's quite easy to change with adding spicy V8 until it is hot enough for me; I like my tortilla soup creamy so I used a stick blender once the canned tomatoes were added). I am vegetarian and only had access to "Not-Beef" and "Not-Chicken" bouillon cubes, so I used those instead of Knorr. Being vegetarian, I left out the chicken. <br/><br/>As for garnishes, I fried up strips of store bought corn tortillas. I also cut pasilla chiles into one inch cubes and fried those for 3-4 seconds and crumbled into the soup. Cheddar cheese, as well.I think that garnishes are very important for this soup and I am not sure that I would eat the soup without the tortillas, but as it's tortilla soup, I don't know why I would bother making it if I didn't have the tortillas.
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup petit canned tomato (or fresh)
- 1 (12 ounce) canv8 spicy vegetable juice (you can use regular)
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 large knorr beef bouillon cube
- 1 large knorr chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- fried corn tortilla strips, for topping (can use tortilla chips to lessen oil)
- avocado, for topping
- shredded mozzarella cheese, for topping
- cilantro, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large microwaveable dish heat 2 cups of water till boiling and add bouillon cubes, stir to dissolve them.
- In a large pot sauté vegetable oil, chopped small white onion and minced garlic together.
- Add remaining ingredients to include the bouillon.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- You may add additional vegetables at this time if you chose to add 30 minutes to the cooking time.
- <<<<To serve>>>>.
- I love the taste of tortilla strips so I layer the bottom of each bowl and then pour soup in and top with tortilla strips, cheese, avocado, and plenty of cilantro.