1/1 Photo of Chicken Tortilla Soup With "the Works!"
7 hrs 15 mins
Warm, soothing, spicy, but not hot, and FILLED with flavor (and protein!) this has been my favorite "chicken soup" for recovering from a couple of recent surgeries. *Almost* makes it worth the Dr.'s visit!" You can use either the meat from two whole roasted chickens from your local mega-mart, or 4 cans of chicken breast from Costco - the latter is easier, or you can mix n' match - just use what you have available!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 whole roasted broiler-fryer chickens (skinned, boned, shredded or chopped, don't forget the thighs!, or 4 cans of Costco canned chicken br)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 16 ounces frozen corn, thawed & drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 ounces black beans, drained
- 28 ounces tomatoes, diced
- 28 ounces mild red enchilada sauce (Use from Cheese Enchiladas in Yummy Red Sauce, or use Victoria)
- 28 ounces mild green enchilada sauce
- 4 ounces green chilies, chopped (not jalapeno)
- 6 cups chicken broth (I use one and a half boxes of Swanson Organic Low Sodium, great flavor)
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, dried
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lb Cotija cheese, crumbled (can use Queso Fresco)
- 1/4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1/4 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1In a large skillet on medium/high, saute' onions and corn in olive oil until lightly browned. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic. Cook 2 minutes.
- 2Into a large crock-pot or Dutch oven, place remaining soup ingredients (everything else on "soup" list, except cheeses). Add onion/corn/garlic mixture, stir, cover and simmer on low for 6-8 hours.
- 3When ready to serve, remove bay leaves and add 1/2 cup fresh cilantro and cheeses. Simmer gently until cheeses begin to melt. Meanwhile, cut tortillas into strips and fry in corn or peanut oil until crisp. Drain on paper towel and salt immediately. Garnish each bowl with grated cheese, tortilla strips, and sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
- 4Que Bueno! 8-)).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tortilla Soup With "the Works!"
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.3
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 97.2 mg
- Sodium 974.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 29.2 g