Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I love chicken tortilla soup. After eating it several times at one of my favorite restaurants I decided to make it myself. This is the recipe I came up with. In this recipe the measurements are not exact as I tend to not measure. It's based on my taste buds. Feel free to add or lessen to make it suitable for your taste buds.
- 3 lbs whole chickens
- fresh water
- 1 lime
- 2 -4 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 3 zucchini (sliced)
- 3 carrots (sliced)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- In a large stock pot place the chicken and sprinkle with garlic salt. Add the water until its about 4 inches above the chicken. Wash the lime then cut it in half and add it to the pot. Bring water to a boil and continue until the chicken is cooked throughly. About 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken and let it cool. Remove the limes and skim the broth to remove fat. Shred the chicken after it has cooled off and set aside.
- To the broth add the chicken bouillon and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Now add in your canned tomatoes and all your spices. I like to add in about 8 shakes of hot sauce (I use Cholula) Bring to a boil and add in the the zucchini and carrots and the shredded chicken.
- When the vegetables are done cooking your soup is done!
- crumbled tortilla chips.
- shredded cheddar or montrey jack cheese.
- sour cream.
- hot sauce like Cholula, Tapatio or tabsco.
- lime wedges.