Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From 365: No Repeats. Rachael Ray
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenders (not breaded)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (don't touch your eyes after cutting pepper until you have washed your hands)
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 cups yellow corn tortilla chips (about 4 handfuls)
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce such as Tabasco sauce
- 1 quart chicken stock (store bought works fine unless you want to make it homemade) or 1 quart broth (store bought works fine unless you want to make it homemade)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, for garnish
- 2 limes, juice and zest of, combined
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (chopped)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (green onions, use both the white and green parts)
- Preheat a medium soup pot over medium high heat and add the olive oil -- a couple times around the inside of the pan should be fine.
- Chop the chicken tenders into bite size pieces.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the hot soup pot.
- Lightly brown the chicken for about 3 to 4 minutes, then add the garlic, bell peppers, onions, jalapeños, celery, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- While that is cooking place the tortilla chips in a food processor and process until well ground. I f you don't have a processor place the chips in a sealable plastic storage bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Add the ground tortilla chips to the soup pot and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken stock and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Simmer the soup for 15 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the sour cream. Pass the lime zest, chopped cilantro, and sliced scallions for each person to add to taste.