1/1 Photo of Chicken Tortilla Soup - Restaurant Style
Foodie Friend's Note:
I developed this recipe (over time) after I had a bowl just like this in a restaurant. It is a favorite that I return to again and again. My version is a bit healthier than a typical restaurant since I bake my tortilla strips. Anyone following the South Beach Diet will recognize this would be a good phase two meal. (When it comes to the spice blend I have used anything from Pampered Chef's Southwest Seasoning to the Spicy Taco Seasoning from Gordon Food Service. I have also made my own blend using pinches chili powder, cumin, garlic, oregano and cilantro until I have about 1 Tablespoon). Finally, when it comes to the shredded cheese I have used several different kinds (whatever I have in the house) and it still turns out terrific.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 uncooked chicken breasts, cut into small bite sized pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 (4 ounce) cans of mild fire-roasted green chilies
- 1 (30 ounce) can refried beans
- 30 ounces chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon southwest seasoning
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 low-carb tortillas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons low-fat sour cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, divided (optional)
- cilantro leaf (to garnish)
- 1Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and cook diced chicken pieces for 5 minutes, stirring often so they don't get brown - remove chicken and set aside.
- 2Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in the same large soup pot over medium heat and add onion cook for 1 minute stirring often.
- 3Press 2 cloves of garlic into the pot over the onions and cook for another minute - continue stirring so the onions and garlic do not brown.
- 4Add the two cans of green chilies and cook for another minute.
- 5Add the cooked chicken, refried beans and broth (I buy broth by the carton and measure the broth by filling the empty refried bean can) - blend this mixture well.
- 6Add 1 Tablespoon of southwest seasoning and 1/2 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or your favorite) - simmer soup on medium low heat until heated through. At this point the soup is ready, but if you simmer on low heat for another 15 - 30 minutes it will give the seasoning a chance to blend well.
- 7While the soup is simmering preheat oven to 350 and cut the tortillas into very thin strips using a pizza cutter - when watching carbs I use 1/2 tortilla per person.
- 8Place tortilla strips 2 teaspoons of olive oil and 4 pinches of salt in a ziplock bag and shake well.
- 9Spread into 1 layer on cookie sheet spayed with oil (make the strips in shapes rather than all of them be completely flat) and bake for 5 - 7 minutes. (I have also toasted these in a large frying pan if you prefer method).
- 10This recipe makes four hearty 2 1/2 cup portions - Ladle soup into bowls, garnish each bowl with tortilla strips, 1/8 cup of shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream and a few cilantro leaves. (Serving Idea: I have also served this soup with cheese quesadillas).
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tortilla Soup - Restaurant Style
Serving Size: 1 (642 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.5
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 1489.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 36.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: